Well well well. It took MUCH longer than I would have thought (as I am moving soon to a new house, I did not have much time for DiskMaker X sadly). But here it is: the first functional, beta version of DiskMaker X 4, with Yosemite support !
But the trick is, there are TWO versions available:
- DiskMaker X for Yosemite DP is for the Developer Preview of Yosemite;
- DiskMaker X for Yosemite BETA is for people registered on the specific beta program for Yosemite.
If you don’t know what a Developer Preview or beta is, just don’t touch this version 🙂
If you got Yosemite on Apple’s Developer portal, you must use the Developer Preview version. If this is the first time you get a beta version from Apple, you probably got the Yosemite Beta version.
In fact, it’s quite easy : if your OS X Yosemite installer finishes with “Beta”, get the Beta version. If it contains “Developer Preview”, get the DP version.
Of course, this is a temporary situation: when Yosemite goes final, only one version will be available.
As Yosemite is beta software, the same is for DiskMaker X Beta or DP. SO, DON’T USE THEM ON A PRODUCTION MACHINE. Use them on a test environment.
Also, I suggest you disconnect any drive or unmount any volume that may contain sensitive data. You never know…
WHAT YOU NEED
An 8 GB USB2 or USB3 thumb drive, a Firewire or Thunderbolt drive, an 8 GB SD-Card… You can use a partition of a drive if you wish.
Also, DiskMaker X 4 beta will work only when launched from Mac OS X 10.7.x, OS X 10.8.x or OS X 10.9.x.
- DiskMaker X has NOT been tested running on Yosemite. It is guaranteed to work on OS X 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9. Don’t send me incompatibility reports for Yosemite yet.
- The custom icon won’t be pasted at the end of the process.
- The packages window is not closed automatically at the end.
- Localization is partially implemented, so you may have some English text pop up at specific times.
- Some folders don’t get hidden in the disk’s window (etc, var…).
- The progress bar don’t show much progress. At this time, they are more of a placeholder.
I tested DiskMaker X on various disks with good results, with both Developer Preview and the Beta version.
Enjoy ! And don’t forget to send your bug reports to ldm at gete dot net